Efficiency in Localization
Out with the old, in with the new. Sound processes and smart technology are at the heart of any truly efficient localization effort. Suboptimal processes mean, well, you never get to optimum performance. Use our Process Optimization Practice to address your language technology challenges. Being smart about efficiency is always the smart option.
The pressure to reduce costs is ever-present today, and few companies can be safe in the knowledge their translation or localization processes are truly optimal. The amount of content created increases and new languages are seemingly always being added. New tools, technologies and formats keep emerging, adding to the complexity.
Whether the process involves single-source CMS, translation workflows and translation management systems, or XML-centric processes that use standards such as XLIFF, DocBook, DITA, or OpenDocument, the aim is always to increase process efficiency. But only proper implementation will result in the desired outcome - optimal processes and reduced costs.
With direct translation costs being largely fixed, attention often focuses on reducing non-translation costs.
With direct translation costs being largely fixed, attention often focuses on reducing non-translation costs. And savings here can be substantial. Significant cost and time-to-market reductions are often achieved by optimizing the complete globalization workflow and through integration of related activities - internationalization, content creation, translation and publishing.
Through our process optimization services, Moravia helps companies do just that - optimize. That means, moving from the current state to one of increased efficiency, reduced costs and a distinct competitive advantage, by providing:
- Process design
- Process optimization
- Technology evaluation
- Technology customization and implementation
- Process- and technology-related training and seminars
The Extra Benefits
Well-optimized processes help achieve the following benefits:
- Reduced cost of translation
- Reduced translation-related costs
- Higher savings when multiple languages are required
- Lower translation partner support costs
- Maximum utilization of tools and technology
- Future-proofing of technology and process investments made to date
- Reduced time spent on source content creation
- Lower DTP and engineering charges
- Reduced time-to-market
- "Sim-ship" becomes more achievable
Process Optimization is a Journey
At Moravia, we understand that companies design and develop their localization processes gradually, as their global needs grow over time. It is neither a one-off nor once-for-all-time. Moravia process consultants help companies move to the next level of maturity with their processes, to help meet current as well as foreseeable requirements.
We see that as companies grow and develop, focus shifts from process design, to process optimization and ultimately to process automation. At each stage, Moravia can help address your unique challenges as follows:
A. Focus on Process Design
- There may be few or no formal processes established. The task to translate or localize materials depends on the few individuals with hands-on experience and knowledge, which may go largely undocumented.
- Over time, translation technology starts to be used to improve process repeatability and introduce some level of automation.
- Very often, though, this localization technology remains underutilized, and is not based on solid and widely shared processes and procedures.
How Moravia Can Help
- You will benefit from Moravia's experience in analyzing your requirements, auditing your localization environment, and designing customized localization processes.
- Moravia will help evaluate the technologies and tools that will be the best fit for your specific challenges, and help implement these throughout your processes.
- You can also rely on Moravia's localization professionals to deliver targeted training and seminars for you and your staff that will help embed specific localization knowledge within your organization.
B. Focus on Process Optimization
- As localization needs - and volumes and the number of languages - grow, so does the need to formalize processes.
- Making internal organizational design changes to support application of these processes in practice becomes important.
- As processes mature and become more critical, there is a need for a more sophisticated use of tools and technologies.
Investments need to be made, and internal changes managed, but they have to deliver productivity increases, better efficiency, and higher quality and consistency of translation.
How Moravia Can Help
- Moravia will identify key focus areas where efficiencies can be gained through optimizing and streamlining current processes.
- We will help document and standardize processes so that translation projects become repeatable and better managed, and costs contained or reduced.
- Moravia will help fine-tune the most efficient workflow from content authoring, through translation, to final publication.
We will also help to future-proof any investments you may make at this stage to prepare for growth, and future challenges or technologies.
C. Focus on Process Automation
- With a further growth in volume and languages, automation of localization processes becomes of prime importance. This is the next phase in the optimization of the procedures in place.
- Scalability, faster time-to-market, faster localized-content updates (such as local web sites), cost efficiency and content reuse through single-sourcing loom as objectives to be met.
- Quality of source content comes under closer scrutiny, as controlled authoring is set to increase re-purposing.
- Managing the brand and its consistent messaging and perception on local markets gains in prominence.
How Moravia Can Help
- With the high volumes and high number of languages in play, even smaller-scale improvements can result in major cost reductions as savings multiply. Moravia will evaluate your complete workflow and pinpoint the critical areas where automation of activities can result in maximum cost and time benefit.
- Our consultants help achieve adherence to industry specifications and technology standards.
The Process of Process Optimization
Typically, optimization strategy is developed jointly with our clients and covers these distinctive phases:
Phase 1 - Preparation Review and selection of audit focus areas, tasks and required outputs, based on an initial analysis, interviews and understanding of the specific challenges and goals the customer faces.
Phase 2 - Process Audit This crucial step is based on focus areas identified and defined in the preparation phase. The audit stage covers detailing of issues, collection of information, answers to questions, diagnosis of risks and provides detailed mapping to understand the current and desired status. This information is then used for the recommended solutions that follow the audit.
Phase 3 - Solution Blueprint The report takes the form of Process Improvement Recommendations that can be used as project specifications for the implementation phase. Among others, this report contains an optimization task list with effort estimates and success criteria for measurement as well as a suggested optimal targeted workflow model and implementation options, often with a recommended staggered approach.
Phase 4 - Implementation of Changes This phase is typically fully owned by the customer, who selects tasks and recommendations to be rolled out, and decides who will implement them and how. Moravia has participated in process audits where we were involved in implementing recommendations with a project team and also in audits where the client took ownership for change management.
Phase 5 - Review Results Based on the agreed success criteria, it is possible to measure what was achieved, typically at points six months and one year after changes were implemented. As process optimization approaches are normally well documented and begin by targeting the specific areas identified for improvement, it is possible to gauge and quantify the impact of the optimized process over time.
Learn more about our process optimization services. To find out how Moravia can help you reduce costs by assessing and optimizing your translation and localization processes, please complete the Request for Information form or see other options for contacting us.